Category: Dessert Recipes
- 4 eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 4 drops lemon juice or white vinegar (optional)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tsp Rustlin' Rob's Mexican Vanilla
- 1 stick + 2 tsp butter, melted
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 2 cups milk, room temperature
- Magic Cake baking directions: Mix egg whites until stiff. You can add 4 drops of lemon juice or white vinegar to stabilize the egg whites.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar, water, and Mexican Vanilla until light. Add melted butter and continue beating for another minute. Then add the flour and mix it in.
- Add the milk (it has to be lukewarm, otherwise the butter will harden) and beat until well incorporated.
- Gently fold in beaten egg whites using a spatula or a spoon. Do not use a mixer for this step because it will ruin the air bubbles trapped in beaten egg whites. Do not fully incorporate batter and egg whites. There should still be some little "clouds" of egg whites floating on top of the batter.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 8-inch x 8-inch square or 8 inches round baking dish. Do not use spring form because the batter is too liquid and the pan could leak. Bake Magic Cake in preheated 325 F oven for about 60 minutes or until the top is golden and the cake is still soft, but not jiggly anymore. If the top starts browning too quickly (after about 30 minutes of baking), cover the cake with aluminum foil.
- Cool in the pan for at least 3 hours. Serve Magic Cake sprinkled with powdered sugar.
Additional Rustlin' Rob's products
ADAPTED FROM: Kitchen Nostalgia