Heat Level: Mild
Category: Breakfast, Casseroles - Meatless
- 2 cups water
- 1 + ¼ cups milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup Rustin’ Rob’s Southern Yellow Grits
- ½ cup plus 1 tbsp butter
- ⅓ cup diced green onions
- 4 oz Velveeta cheese, cubed
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 2 + ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies (Ro-Tel)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a saucepan, bring water and milk to a boil. Add salt and slowly add grits and return to a boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat, cover, and cook for 3 minutes. Add ½ cup of butter to grits and stir until butter is melted.
- Cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until grits are thick and creamy. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Using a skillet, sauté onions in remaining tablespoon of butter for 1 minute. Add sautéd onions, Velveeta, garlic powder, and 1+½ cups cheddar cheese, to grits, and stir until cheese is melted. Add tomatoes and mix well.
- Pour grits into a greased 8 by 11 by 2-inch casserole and bake for 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 cup cheese over casserole for the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
ADAPTED FROM: Paula Deen