Heat Level: Medium
Category: Main Dish - Poultry, Pasta/Rice
- 1 medium-sized chicken
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 stalks celery, cut in half
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 3 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp Rustlin' Rob's Rattlesnake Bite Seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb smoked sausage
- Remove giblets, etc. from the chicken cavity. Clean and rinse chicken well and place in a large pot with a tight-fitting lid.
- Add broth, celery, onion, 2 teaspoons of salt, black pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and rattlesnake bite. Bring to a slow simmer over medium heat. Once the broth begins to boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover lightly, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from broth then set aside to cool. Remove skin, bones, etc. from chicken. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- Strain broth to remove onion, celery, and bay leaf then return broth to the pot.
- Cut smoked sausage into bite-sized pieces. Add sausage and the remaining teaspoon of salt to the broth then bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add uncooked rice and chicken pieces. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover tightly then cook 20 minutes or until rice is tender stirring with a fork a few times the first 15 minutes of cook time. Do not disturb rice during the last 15 minutes of cooking.
- Turn off heat then let dish rest, covered, for 30 minutes before serving.