Category: Main Dish - Fish & Seafood
- 1 cup buttermilk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound fish fillets, cut in strips
- 1 + 1/2 cups Rustlin' Rob's Whole Grain Yellow Cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all - purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 quart vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 2 gallon resealable plastic bag
- In a small bowl, mix buttermilk, salt, and pepper. Pour mixture into a flat pan large enough to hold the fillets. Spread fish in one layer over the bottom of the pan, turning to coat each side, and set aside to marinate.
- In a 2 gallon resealable plastic bag, combine cornmeal, flour, and cayenne pepper. Add fish to the mixture, a few at a time, seal bag, then turn gently to coat fillets evenly.
- Heat oil in deep-fryer to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
- Deep fry fillets until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Fish should be slightly crisp outside, and moist and flaky inside. Drain on paper towels.
ADAPTED FROM: Allrecipes