Heat Level: Mild
Category: Main Dish - Poultry
- 1 chicken cut into pieces
- 1 onion
- 3 large carrots cut into thirds
- 3 celery stalks cut into thirds
- 1 cube Knorr poultry seasoning
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 + 3/4 cups flour plus extra for dusting
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp Rustlin' Rob's Steak Dust
- Combine chicken, onion, carrots, and celery in a large pot. Season to taste.
- Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered 45-60 minutes or until chicken is tender. While broth is simmering, prepare dumplings below.
- Remove chicken and vegetables from the broth. Discard skin and bones and chop remaining chicken, set aside.
- Gently add dumplings to broth. Simmer 15-20 minutes or until tender. Stir chicken (and vegetables if desired) into broth and cook about 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
- Dumplings: Combine flour, baking powder, salt and shortening with a fork until shortening is mixed in. Add milk a little at a time and mix until combined (you may not need all of it, you want a soft but not sticky dough).
- Knead a few times on a floured surface until dough is smooth. Generously flour your surface and roll the dough out to ⅛″ thick. Cut dough into 1″ x 2″ strips. Flour generously to avoid sticking. Cook in broth as directed above.
- To Thicken Broth: In a small bowl combine 4 tablespoons cornstarch with 4 tablespoons water. Add to boiling broth a little bit at a time stirring to reach desired consistency.