Category: Dessert Recipes- Holiday/Seasonal Recipes
- Sugar Cookies:
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp Rustlin' Rob's Mexican Vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup powder sugar
- 1/4 tsp Rustlin' Rob's Mexican Vanilla
- 3-5 tsp milk
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder; set aside.
- Beat eggs with a fork in a large bowl then stir in sugar, butter, and Mexican Vanilla. Alternately add flour and buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour, stirring until well mixed.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- When you are ready to bake, preheat your oven to 400° F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough until about ¼ inch thick, dip your cookie cutter in flour and cut out shapes. I bake all the same shapes on one sheet to ensure even baking.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until the cookies have puffed and the bottoms have browned but the centers are still slightly underdone. You can tell this because the centers are slightly darker than the outsides.
- Remove immediately to a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
- For icing combine sugar and Mexican Vanilla in a bowl and add milk 1 teaspoon at a time until it is your desired consistency. If it gets too thin, you can add more sugar to thicken. It will also thicken as it cools.
- I wanted mine to be a bit thicker so I could pipe it. If you are going to flood your cookies with frosting, you might need a bit more milk.
Additional Rustlin' Rob's products
NOTE: Makes approximately 3 dozen cookies.