Heat Level: Mild
Category: Side Dish - Vegetable
- 3 tbsps. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 lb. bacon cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 lbs. stemmed collard greens, leaves cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Rustlin’ Rob’s Sorghum Syrup
- 4 cups chicken stock (1 Box)
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup kimchi, drained and finely chopped
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Add bacon, and cook, stirring often, until fat has rendered, about 10 minutes. Add collard greens, and cook over medium-high, stirring often, until collards begin to wilt, about 4 minutes. Add vinegar, and boil 1 minute. Add stock, Rustlin’ Rob’s Sorghum Syrup, crushed red pepper, and a large pinch of salt. Cover and cook. Stirring occasionally, until collards are very tender, about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring cream to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium. Cook until reduced by one-third, about 10 minutes. Stir in kimchi, and remove from heat.
- When collard greens are done, stir in kimchi cream. Add salt to taste.
ADAPTED FROM: Food and Wine