Heat Level: Mild
Category: Appetizers, Snacks
- 1 package (2 sheets) puff pastry, defrosted but still cold
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ¼ cup Rustlin’ Rob’s German Stoneground Mustard
- ½ lb thinly sliced Black Forest Ham
- ¼ to ½ lb Gruyere cheese, sliced (depending on how much cheese you like)
- Place a rack in center of the oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet, or round pizza pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Unfold or unroll one sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Gently roll with a rolling pin until each side is increased by about 1/2-inch. This is just a light rolling. Place the pastry on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush pastry, from edge to edge with egg wash. Spread mustard atop the egg wash, leaving 1/2-inch of space between the mustard and the edge of pastry. Layer on ham slices. Top with sliced cheese.
- Gently roll out the second piece of puff pastry. Layer on top of the ham and cheese pastry. Press the edges together with your fingers. Gently fold about 1/2-inch of the edges over, creating a thick crust. Press with the tines of a fork. Dip the fork in flour if the fork sticks to the puff pastry during pressing.
- Brush with egg wash from edge to edge. Use a sharp knife to cut three venting holes through the top pastry.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Allow cooling for 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm.
ADAPTED FROM: Joy the Baker