Heat Level: Mild
Category: Side Dish Recipe
- 1 + 1/2 cups Rustlin' Rob's Cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar, optional
- 1 + 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 cup pork cracklins, break up the larger pieces
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Place cast-iron skillet in the oven to preheat, add a little oil or prepare an 8x10 oblong baking pan by spraying it with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the dry ingredients, mixing well.
- In a second bowl, add the wet ingredients, mixing well.
- Gently fold in the dry cracklins and pour this mixture into the prepared baking dish or cast-iron skillet.
- Bake at 400° for 25 to 30 minutes.
NOTE: If the mixture is too dry add more buttermilk.