Heat Level: Mild
Category: Side Dish Recipes - Breads & Rolls
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted (or bacon drippings)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Rustlin' Rob's Yellow Whole Grain Cornmeal
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 400F and position a rack in the middle. Lightly grease a 9-inch cast iron skillet or 9-inch square baking dish with butter and place skillet/dish into the oven to heat up.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, yellow whole grain cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk and eggs. Mix together well to combine, then add in the slightly cooled melted butter. Mix again until combined (don't over mix).
- Carefully remove your 'hot' pan or dish from the oven with oven mitts, and pour the batter into the hot skillet or dish. Listen to that sizzle! That's what you want.
- Bake until the cornbread begins to brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean (about 20-23 minutes). Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
NOTE: Alternatively for cast iron skillets: heat 1/2 cup of butter in your cast iron over stove top on medium heat until melted, turn heat off then allow the butter to cool slightly before adding to the batter.
ADAPTED FROM: Cafe Delites