Heat Level: Mild
Category: Main Dish - Beef, Holiday/Seasonal - Game Day
- Olive oil, for frying
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 heaping tsp ground cumin
- 1 heaping tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb chuck steak, cubed into 1-inch chunks
- 7 oz can chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp Rustlin’ Rob’s Very Very Hot Sauce
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Dark baking chocolate (4 squares of a 4 oz block)
- 6 flour tortillas (12-inch)
- 2 cups pepper jack cheese
- 2 cups long-grain rice, cooked
- 14 oz can black beans
- Iceberg lettuce, shredded
- Sour cream
- In a large saucepan add olive oil to fry the onions slowly until soft. Add the cumin, paprika, and cinnamon and fry for about 1 minute. Add 1 cup water, the steak, chipotles, Very Very Hot Sauce, oregano, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Give the whole thing a good stir.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and cook on a simmer for about 2 hours, checking that there's enough cooking liquid.
- At the end of cooking, stir in dark chocolate.
- To assemble: toast the tortillas in a large frying pan until slightly brown but not crispy (they still need to be pliable for wrapping). Add some pepper jack cheese while toasting to start melting.
- One by one add the rice, beans, steak and onion mixture, guacamole, salsa, lettuce and sour cream to each burrito, adding as much or as little as you prefer.
- Wrap up your burrito, and enjoy!
ADAPTED FROM: Eat St.