Heat Level: Mild
Category: Breakfast, Dessert
- 5 granny smith apples (the more spots, the better!), peeled, cored and diced
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp warm water
- 6 large croissants, chopped into chunks (these are pre-made croissants from your local grocery store bakery section.)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup Rustlin’ Rob’s Apple Butter
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp Heavy Cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add brown sugar and stir until incorporated.
- Add cinnamon and nutmeg, mix well.
- Add diced apples and stir to coat. Simmer mixture for 5 minutes or until apples are soft and to the desired texture. I recommend tasting one to see if it's soft enough.
- In a small bowl combine cornstarch and water. Mix well and add cornstarch mixture to apples and stir. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a 9x13 casserole dish, lay out croissant pieces, spreading out so they cover the bottom of the pan.
- Top croissants with apple mixture. Spreading evenly over croissants.
- In a separate bowl combine heavy cream, apple butter, eggs, and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Pour apple butter mixture over croissants and apples.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- While casserole is baking, in a small bowl combine heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time. Add more heavy cream 1/2 teaspoon at a time if needed. Mixture should be thick but should drip from spoon when held in air.
- Remove casserole from oven; allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Drizzle casserole with icing and serve immediately.
ADAPTED FROM: numstheword.com