Heat Level: Mild
Category: Appetizers, Side Dish - Vegetables
- 4 green plantains
- Coconut oil or other high heat oil
- 8 oz. queso fresco
- Favorite dried sausage, for serving
- Rustlin’ Rob’s Creamy Chipotle Pepper Dip
- Cut ends off plantain and remove peel completely.
- Cut the plantain into inch thick slices and put into a large bowl.
- Sprinkle about 1 ½ tbsp of salt over plantains and toss so that each piece is seasoned and set aside.
- Pour oil into large skillet to cover the bottom about ½ inch deep
- Once oil is hot, place plantains in skillet.
- Cook for about 5 mins flipping to evenly brown on each side.
- Remove from pan letting excess oil drip off.
- Place on plate and quickly use a large spoon to press down to desired thickness. They should be soft and easy to flatten.
- Place them back into the hot oil and fry again for about 5 minutes flipping until crisp and golden brown.
- Place onto plate with a paper towel to drain.
- Slice queso fresco, and sausage, then place on top of plantain and drizzle with our Creamy Chipotle Pepper Dip!