Heat Level: Mild
- 1 Prebaked Pie Crust
- Filling :
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 8 oz of Rustlin' Rob's Mayhaw jelly
- 3 tbps flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1 tsp Rustlin' Rob's Mexican Vanilla
- Meringue :
- 4 large egg whites , room tempature
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp Rustlin' Rob's Mexican Vanilla
- Prepare prebaked pie crust as directed.
- Change oven temp to 325 degrees.
- Remove eggs from the refrigerator and separate. Allow egg whites to reach room temp for best whipping.
- Cream butter and jelly. Add eggs, flour, buttermilk, and vanilla. Blend well. Pour into prebaked pie shell. Bake for 30 minutes or until the custard is set. If pie begins to brown, cover loosely with foil.
- Remove pie from oven.
- Let pie cool for 30 minutes before you top with meringue.
- Change oven temp to 350 degrees.
- Pour egg whites into a bowl.
- Whip the egg white until they are glossy and smooth, then add vanilla, and cream of tartar to help the egg white hold their form.
- Slowly add the sugar to the egg whites, about 1 tbsp at a time, beating after each addition, until the sugar is incorporated. Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue on top of the pie, place 4 inches under the heat and bake for about 10 minutes, until golden.
Additional Rustlin' Rob's products