Heat Level: Mild
Category: Side Dish - Vegetables
- 2 lb. red potatoes cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, plus 4 tbsp. cut into small pieces
- 1 leek (white and light green tops), trimmed , carefully washed and finely chopped
- ¼ cup Rustlin’ Rob’s Creamy Horseradish Dip
- ¾ cup half-and-half, heated
- White pepper
- To remove excess starch, place the potatoes in a large bowl and add water to cover; let stand for 5 minutes, then drain.
- Meanwhile, in a nonstick frying pan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter, Add the leek and sauté, stirring often, until soft, 5-7 minutes. Set aside.
- Fill a large pot ¾ full with water and bring to a boil. Add salt to taste, then the potatoes. Boil until tender when pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes. Drain well in a colander and return potatoes to the pot over high heat to dry, turning to prevent scorching, until all the moisture evaporates, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the butter pieces and horseradish dip to the pot of potatoes and slowly add the half-half, stirring constantly until the potatoes are mashed and creamy but not soupy. Mix in the leek and salt and white pepper to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately.